Monday, February 21, 2011

I Like That

            Facebook hacking happens. Last week, I accidently left my account logged in on my best friend’s computer. A few hours later, my status had been updated, my birthday was changed, and new people had been added. But what was the most embarrassing part of this whole hack? My friend liked every single photo of someone I barely know. Awkward…

            Despite the fact that this experience with “likes” wasn’t ideal, liking things on Facebook has been beneficial in many ways. People are always posting photos and statuses on Facebook and liking them is the simplest way to show you noticed. Your best friend posted a status about a good grade? Like. Your cousin posted a photo of them traveling? Like. Even if you don’t know a person very well, liking their photos and statuses can help to get you two to start actually talking to each other. They post a link to an article on College Humor? Like. Conversation can start right there. Liking is also a great way to show interest…without being completely creepy. Facebook is breeding grounds for weird creeper stalking. Even if you aren’t one of the creepers, sometimes commenting on things can be a little weird. An acquaintance posts a photo of them and their friends dancing? Like. It’s way less creepy than a “that’s cute” comment. And much simpler too!

            Liking is not only used to show interest on people’s activity on Facebook, but is frequently used to show what kinds of things people actually like. People go on Facebook and like their favorite movies, music, books, interests, activities, and so much more. All the things you like will show up on your profile for everyone to see. It’s instant personalization in the simplest way possible. Across the Universe? Like. The Downtown Fiction? Like. Project Runway? Like. Besides just personalizing your profile, liking things can personalize what shows up on your newsfeed and in your advertisements. Let’s say you just liked Harry Potter. You’re much more likely to have advertisements for Harry Potter fan clubs, movies, and book signings. Maybe you just liked Urban Outfitters. All the announcements they post on their fan page will start to show up on your news feed. Your sorority or fraternity? Like. Now you’ll get announcements about events on your news feed and you’ll be likely to get advertisements relating to Greek clothing and other similar commodities. It’s the perfect way for Facebook to show you exactly what you want. And yet again, so simple!


            So once again, Mark Zuckerberg got it right. Why should you have to put in so much effort as to come up with a clever comment for someone? All you have to do is like it. Go on Facebook and like someone’s picture, their status, some sort of fan page and admire the cleverness that is the like button. Just don’t log onto someone else’s account and like all of one of their friend’s photos. Take advantage of its simplicity instead. I Like That.


Link to the song that inspired this blog:

5 comments:

  1. Nice post--it's true about 'liking' being a simple function. And, how can you not 'like' those posts that say:

    "Person X likes rowboats, Steve Buscemi, and fried ice cream"

    Some of the collections of 'likes' become like little poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "like" this post haha. I agree that sometimes a "like" is all that you need to describe a certain moment. Saying anything more, and it just doesn't feel right anymore. When words just can't describe how you feel, "like" it. I wish they had a dislike button too though! Although I guess that would be very depressing if you had lots of your friends "disliking" your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Justin about the dislike button, not because I would actually tell someone I don't like what they're doing, but because it would make a fun feature. Just like the like button, you would be able to use the dislike button just to poke fun at them or to show that you read something.

    --K. Chiang

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wished there were a dislike button as well. Liking is a great feature. A lot of times I never want to interact with other people, but I don't want to write anything. Liking their status/photos/whatever is a great solution. I "like" how you point out how important such a simple feature is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the "like" function is a great thing. It's simple and easy. These days I "like" things on facebook more than I bother to comment. I oddly feel like liking is a way to keep in contact or at least within the social realm of those you don't see as often. I too, wish there was a dislike button on facebook but for now, I'm fine with just a like button. Like Justin said, it would be sad if a lot of people disliked my status so it's understandable that facebook at least tries to avoid the negativity that comes with dislike buttons.

    ReplyDelete